Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil to Host 2016 Olympics

Before I read this fine article about Brazil being awarded the 2016 summer games, I knew that Brazil would be hosting the FIFA (Soccer) World Cup in 2014, which is only two years before the most precious global sporting event, the Summer Olympics. With that being said, I personally thought that they wouldn’t win the bid from the I.O.C. (International Olympic Committee) for the Olympics, due to the FIFA World Cup being played in 2014. That would make Brazil the host of 2 Major Sporting Events in two years, which seemed unfair to Chicago, Spain, and Japan that were bidding for the 2016 summer games. I found out after reading this, that Brazil and South America in general has never hosted the Olympic games ever. I don’t feel as bad for these other cities/countries that lost the bid, because I know they‘ve hosted Olympic Games before. For instance, would it be fair to give it to a continent that has hosted Summer and Winter Olympics many of times compared to a continent that’s never seen an Olympic Event take place in one of its countries? 2016 Summer Olympics start August 5th through the 21st. I’ll defiantly be watching this great event on T.V. when the worlds best athletes compete for the “Gold” in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. I’m really pumped for this and I’m not to sure why? I think Brazil is going to be a wonderful place to be in 5-7 years from now.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/02/olympics.2016/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment